Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Introduction

Introduction

Hi there!  I like to play D&D with my friends.  The current version of D&D that we play is called Adventurer Conqueror King.  It takes a slightly houseruled version of B/X D&D and adds a bottom-to-top economic system, upon which a robust domain management system for high level characters can rest.

The last time this group of players and I played, they formed a mercenary company that they called The Book and Bow, and I'm not creative so I called my blog that.

World Building

World building is really freaking hard.  There are so many decisions you have to make, and so many considerations.  It may seem meaningless, but if you don't think about how things work, you might accidentally create hard-to-believe settings.  Sometimes you can get away with just the small stuff.  For the game we are about to run, I've tried to avoid designing an entire world so I don't have to worry about things like tectonic plates.  I started with a rough idea of where in the real world I wanted to imitate: South America, and drew some mountains slightly differently in a way that I thought might create a slightly greater variety in biomes.

This blog is my attempt to document my thought process.  I'll be able to go back and refer to what I was trying to do, and perhaps I can also get feedback from more expert worldbuilders.  If someone finds this blog and gets useful hints for designing a world too, all the better.  More to come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment